Friday, March 05, 2004

Strange Intro...

Somehow it escaped my notice that the Republican National Convention is being held in New York City this August/September. I think perhaps I was trying to ignore the fact, but it's been brought to light by the Bush ads being run around the country with him at the World Trade Center site. I find it absolutely abhorent that these photo op shots from 9/11 are being used for his political campaign and I'm obviously not the only one. I find it interesting that he hasn't run them in New York as far as I know. Perhaps it's because anyone here would find the idea as disgusting as I do.

I was in Manhattan those weeks with the heavily armed National Guard, buzzing fighter jets and the smell of chemical smoke that was inexorably linked with the idea of burning flesh, where the hell was he? Absolutely nowhere to be seen. Not on tv and surely not here with the exception of a single photo op. The only politician in the world who could even remotely use that period of time on his resume is Rudy Giuliani, and even then the flag-waving ads would be disrespectful. I'm torn between going home to Wisconsin for that long weekend to avoid the chaos, or being the first in line for the "human shield" protecting the Site from the further desecration of political opportunism.

It's kinda funny, I've always hated politics and political involvement of any kind, but I find I've written more damn email to the White House in the past year than I ever dreamed possible.

No comments: