Thursday, March 25, 2004

"L" is for "Loser"

So, in an attempt to return to healthfulness, I misguidedly stepped up the exercise program last night and took a "Beginner" jazz class instead of my standard basic. The Basic class is really good in a strengthening way, lots of barre work, and balance stuff, but not terribly aerobic and I'm needing a bit more cardio. Plus, as a rule, the combinations (the treat at the end of the class after 75 minutes of exercise) are no longer terribly challenging. Using this logic, it makes total sense to make the step up, right? Wrong!!!!

The class was REALLY crowded even though the teacher was a sub. The warmup was definitely more aerobic than I'm used to, but in a good way. Oddly, there was much less ab work than I'm used to as well. All in all, it was fine, lots of sweat, but fine. Then came the combination. Total nightmare. I was already physically tired from the prep and mentally tired from thinking too much in the effort to catch on to the unfamiliar routine, but that doesn't excuse the complete lack of instruction that followed.

She ran through each segment of the combination once at high speed and then the group was to catch on. Of course, the regulars in the front of the class had no problem, but the group was so huge that if you were in the back, you couldn't see a thing and that, combined with the speed and unfamiliarity with her style, led to disaster. (Did I mention that it was kinda hiphop-ish?) I'd say that about a third of us still didn't yet have it when class ended and left with the proverbial "L" tatooed to our foreheads. It was still a positive experience, but I must say if I had any less self esteem I'd have left in tears.

One happy discovery was made after though--Badger Balm works wonders for post-exercise muscle aches. My feet and ankles were already cramping up only a couple of hours after class and rubbing in the balm worked wonders; i.e., I walked down the stairs this morning instead of doing my usual post-class hobble.

No comments: