Thursday, September 02, 2004

Welcome to the Zoo

Amy H. was just telling me that NPR makes NYC sound like it's a police state at the moment. In response, well, it kinda is, but it's not bad during the day...at night, it's a bit freaky with the sirens and the streets closed, so we're stayin' in--no dance class, nothing that takes us to a different neighborhood and can end up with us stranded. So it sounds kind of bad, but unlike Letterman's monologue claim, there's no tear gas in the air either--NYPD does not use tear gas, the area is too densely populated. Pepper spray, but no tear gas.

The thing is, you really can't blame the cops, and I don't think many residents do. They've tried to be nice and allowed a protest without a permit go through and one of their guys got his face kicked in--no more exceptions. Throw in the fact that they're working without a contract, a situation that could be directly linked to the administration not coming through with the rebuilding funds promised after 9/11...and God knows they're not paying for the extra security the convention is requiring. They're unhappy and nervous, we're unhappy and nervous, there's lots of tension...it's just not good. Nervous people do things calm people wouldn't. I know if I had a billyclub at the moment, I'd be swinging it at the next person who screamed in my face.

On the funny side, I met up with Jen on Tuesday night for drinks. Two guys came in to the bar saying they had just been let out of a dragnet--literally, a big orange dragnet--'cause as they were walking down the street, they were caught up in a flash protest. They immediately found a cop on the back edge, explained and the guy gave them the benefit of the doubt. After this news, I mention that I've gotta eat something, we leave, walk to 3rd Ave (away from the action) and there are cop cars with sirens every minute or so. Jen's looking jumpy. At the point that a helicopter is called out...Jen bails, she needs to go home 'cause this is too much--sensory overload if you will. Oh, how the tables have turned...I used to be the nervous visitor and now I'm thinkin' it's not half so bad as Friday, we should pick a restaurant, have dinner and by the time we're done, things will have died down. But she needed to go home and I can't blame her.

It's pretty safe to say that I'll be doing a jig when they all leave tomorrow--Republicans and protestors alike--maybe we can finally have groceries delivered again.

No comments: