Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Things that make you go "Eeeew" in the Night...

Last night we saw Shaun of the Dead, quite amusing if occasionally absolutely disgusting. All in all though, not half so frightening as Monday night in our apartment.

It was a little after midnight. I was sitting in bed reading when I heard an oddly pained yowling sound. It was repeated several times at intervals and I assumed that Eunice, a woman down the deck, had accidently locked her aging feline outside and he was mewling to get in. The noise continued, so I stuck my head outside to look for the cat. Hmmm. You couldn't hear the sound out on the deck. That can only mean it's coming through the wall from one of the adjoining apartments, well maybe there's a new kitten on the block...

Then the noise became more frequent. Oh. My. God. At this point, music started pounding through the wall from the apartment behind us. Hipster guy across the hall has just had the same realization that I have: It's a human making the ungodly racket. Not only that, it's the very nice woman who lives next door to us in the throes of passion.

By the time Greg came up, the sound was almost constant, with an odd rhythmic lull to it, not at all unlike a European police siren. As he entered the bedroom, at first he could only hear the bass of Hipster Guy's stereo and exclaimed, "Oh No!" I rolled my eyes and informed him he'd yet to hear the worst. His eyes got wide as he realized exactly what and who he was hearing.

His final comment: "Well, at least [our neighbor] doesn't have to worry anymore about any guy on the floor coveting his girlfriend..."

No comments: