Friday, April 23, 2004

Kill Quentin...

Last night I went to see Kill Bill Vol. 2. After 40 minutes of being sickened yet incredibly bored, I walked out. Every other line was emphasized with a dramatic pause and super-closeup, which stretches out each scene ENDLESSLY. Somehow Quentin didn't get the memo that that device is really only effective when it happens to underscore dramatic moments. I know that the film is supposed to be an homage to other, older films, but if you're just going to lift the settings and cobble them together, what's the point? Along that line, if you're going to do scenes in black and white, one should really shoot with black and white film--the movie's black and white scenes looked like I'd hit the BW option on my DVD player--no depth in the medium range shots, but every pore and wrinkle in the closeups.

I do have to say that no one else shoots violence the way he does--thus the "sickened"--but without a modicum of dramatic tension (something that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were loaded with) Kill Bill was nothing but self-aware drek.

The night wasn't a total loss however, I greatly enjoyed the previews for the coming attractions.

No comments: